Who may do community service at the ReStore?
- Students needing hours for school
- Those with court-ordered hours from Stark County, Canton Municipal or Massillon Municipal Courts.
- Those with hours from any other court UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES (felony and/or violent offenses are an automatic disqualification)
What should I bring on my first day?
- Your paperwork from the court/case worker/school
- Your lunch or snack (optional)
When can I do my hours/how do I start?
- Tuesday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- You MUST schedule your shifts in advance with the Volunteer Coordinator, 330-493-0011
What should I wear?
- Comfortable, casual clothes that you can work in and don't mind getting dirty (jeans, athletic pants/shorts, etc.)
- Closed-toe, closed-heel shoes such as athletic trainers or work boots.
- Jacket or sweater (the store is cold in the winter)
- Nametag (given to you by a staff member)
- See ReStore regulations for clothing that may NOT be worn.
What will I be doing?
Tasks vary day to day, but will usually consist of general housekeeping (sweeping, cleaning up and organizing various departments, dusting, cleaning the break room and bathrooms, etc.). Other tasks include assisting with donations, loading and lifting furniture and building materials.
What should I do when I arrive to work?
- Stop at the cash register each time you arrive to sign in, and be sure to stop by to sign out when you leave. If you don't sign out, the hours for that day will not count!
- Check the daily task list and begin working. A staff member will show you around on your first day.
ReStore Regulations for Appropriate Dress and Behavior:
- Park in back of the store, last row.
- Dress appropriately. No short shorts, belly shirts, anything that allows undergarments to show, tee shirts displaying profanity, beer or tobacco advertisements, or overly baggy clothing (it may interfere with your work). Please wear comfortable, casual clothing that you will not mind getting dirty. Dress appropriately for the weather. Closed-toed shoes are a must.
- Sign-in with ReStore staff upon your arrival, using the exact time. If you leave our premises for any reason, you must sign out and sign back in upon your return.
- Wear a volunteer nametag at all times (one will be given to you by ReStore staff)
- Five minute breaks are given, 1 per hour, with a maximum of 2 volunteers on break at a time. You must inform ReStore staff at the beginning and ending of your break.
- Smoking is only permitted when you are on break. Move to the far end of the back parking lot and NEVER smoke around customers or ReStore entrances.
- Lunch is 30 minutes if you work longer than 4 hours. You must sign out of you are leaving the premises.
- Absolutely NO cell phones or head phones unless you are on break.
- Consult the list of tasks to be completed. As you complete each task, check it off from the list.
- Unless requested by ReStore staff, you are not allowed to handle money or credit cards, discuss pricing with customers or loiter near the cashier’s area. Ask a ReStore staff member to handle these issues.
- You must wear the proper safety equipment at all times - work gloves, goggles, etc. You are not allowed to operate the forklift or our trucks.
- The ReStore does not accept all items people wish to donate. Examples: clothing, curtains, oil-based paint, cans of paint less than half full, toxic chemicals, single-pane windows, anything obviously broken. Check with a ReStore staff member if you are unsure.
- Return all tools, cleaning supplies and other equipment to its proper place when finished.
- Do not congregate or work in groups larger than 2, unless asked to do so by ReStore staff.
For more information about Habitat for Humanity of Greater Stark and Carroll Counties, visit www.HabitatStark.org.
Feeling Social? Check out our page on Facebook and Twitter!